Thursday, December 30, 2010

Domestication Fail #4: Revenge of the Potato

You'd think I'd have learned my lesson the first time I attempted mashed potatoes for Hubs. But no. By the time I was making my second attempt, the mishap with the blender was long forgotten.

Hubs and I were newly engaged when this DF took place. He had decided to invite his parents over for dinner. A wonderful idea. I love my in-laws. Plus, this would be a great opportunity to prove to my future-mother-in-law that I could take care of her son just as well as she could.

I was gonna cook dinner. And it was gonna be awesome.

The set up for this story is pretty much the same as last time. I put the dinner rolls in the oven, chopped veggies for the salad, and handed the steaks to Hubs to take out on the grill. But this time I remembered to start the potatoes early.

As I was in the kitchen slicing and dicing, I was having a wonderful conversation with my (then future) mother-in-law, while she sat at the kitchen table enjoying her cigarette and watching me work my wifely magic. My fingers were flying as I fell into the pace of my cooking foods, and I recalled a memory of how graceful my own mother looked when she cooked. Dancing from one side of the kitchen to the other, stirring and seasoning like a culinary ballerina. I thought it would be impressive to mimic the moves I'd seen her throw down. But my mother didn't called me Grace for nothin'.

I pranced to the pantry like I knew exactly what I was doing. I was so cool. So confident, as I grabbed the shaker of garlic salt and unscrewed the lid with a flutter of my hand. Spinning back to the dutch oven, I upturned the shaker over the boiling potatoes to season them just a little.

The entire shaker of garlic salt spilled out into the pot.

As I've said before: The first sign of catastrophe is the smell.

In my haste I hadn't stopped to notice that the garlic salt had a flip top lid with little holes in it. I thought it was a screw off lid. The stench of garlic filled the room. My in-laws burst out laughing as Hubs ran over to quickly strain them. Five second rule. Maybe they could be saved.

Or maybe not.

I'm quickly learning to enjoy pizza.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot tell you how many times I have made this same error. I SWEAR everytime it does, that the spice jar had holes. There are spice gnomes I'm telling ya. They sit in the cabinet and take the hole plastic thing off when we sleep. Im convinced.

    ReplyDelete